Visa Information for International Students

Due to the nature of this short-term program, admitted students will be issued DS-2019 documents by the University of Chicago, and should request J-1 non-degree visiting student visas from U.S. embassies/consulates abroad. If you have any further questions regarding the J-1 status, please visit the OIA website.

The Admissions Office and the Office of International Affairs will guide you through this process. Admitted students will be contacted directly to begin the visa process.

Obtaining a visa can take months based on different scenarios. In order to ensure that you arrive in the U.S. before the program starts, we highly encourage you to apply for the J-1 visa as soon as possible.